90's préféré femelles partie deux


Here is the second part to my list of favourite 90's femmes! Be prepare for an onslaught of make-believe words such as amazingness and greatness.

Lady Miss Kier is such a vibrant and vivid lady. If anyone can remember that amazing song Groove is in the Heart by her group Deee-lite then you win plenty of props from me. I remember dancing to that song for a school play as a kid and it was hilarious! Her style is psychedelic and 60's inspired, lots of crazy prints and trippy colours. I love her because of her unique approach to what she wears, treating everyday like a theatrical stage show spectacular and being true to her own style, not conforming to invisible rules of what to wear at what times - individuality.

\ Kirsten Dunst has been on the radar for a while and I never really cared much for her, but when I first saw The Virgin Suicides I was captivated. Just that whole film in general is so magical and whimsically wonderful, which is why it is one of my favourite films ever. Kirsten was quite the goddess of late 90's movies, notably Dick and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Kirsten's got that darn snaggle tooth thing and that's why she's considered a bit cute. She has a quirky look and face that was just so friendly and appealing that she reminds me of possessing a of a "girl next door" ~vibe~. It's that ~vibe~ that wins her a spot here.

aka Fran Drescher


The Nanny always had some amazing fashion moments and great comedy, greatly due to the amazingness that was Fran Fine! Seriously, she is a great style icon. I'll even admit that her nasally voice grew on me over time. She also gave pretty solid life advice (case in point: "You shouldn't leave the house with things unresolved. That's why men die young"). And Grandma Yetta (LOVE)! I remember watching this show on and off as a kid and being very overwhelmed and awe inspired by Fran's outfits per episode. There were so many over the course of the show that I can't name them all, but graphic prints, gaudy sequins, animal print, bold colours and mini skirts were staples of her individual style. I can also remember a lot of tartan going on, but that was quite big in the mid 90's. I particularly remember that red sequin dress she wore in an episode - so beautiful (sequins are in general amazing). If I were a kid and required a nanny, she'd definitely be the one that I'd want. Fran, you're a damn inspiration to all of us that adore adorning ourselves with all the colours of the rainbow. I salute you.

Liv Tyler has such great facial features and height, as well as super style to boot. I love the mini skirts and short shorts, cropped tops, Doc Martens, red lipstick and choker-style necklaces. She has great outfits in Empire Records as well as Stealing Beauty - floral dresses and the like. She looks so otherworldly and non-human, much like a goddess from Greek mythology or part of a super sub-human alien race who infiltrated Earth and populated it with amazingly gifted looking individuals (in terms of bone structure). Plus she's got a rock star for a dad. That's why she's amazing and on this list.

I have only just discovered the little independent film Party Girl from 1995, featuring Parker Posey. Her name itself reminds me of some character out of a children's storybook, but her approach to style is completely different from this niche. Those chunky platform boots she wore on the poster cover for the film I truly covet, as well as all her other outfits in the film. Leopard jacket, get in my wardrobe! Round frame glasses, don't mind if it do! Plus that fruity headpiece she sports reminds me of my cherry headband which has leaves and red painted cherries as centerpieces, super wacky and quirky yet adorably cute! She's also fabulous as in Dazed and Confused. She's has a quirky charm about her, I can't quite put my finger on it. She'd be amazing to have as a best friend! She's on my list for her wit and charm, and all her quirks.

aka A. J. Langer


Where do I start with Rayanne Graff? That hair, those clothes and just that personality in general. One of my favourite lines she says is "everything causes a scar - LIVING causes a scar" - she couldn't be anymore realistic than that. But back to her style; she had a lot of insane hairstyles, like the full head of mini braids, one section of wavy blonde hair in the front of her head, hair covered in multi-coloured plastic hair-clips and other foreign objects...her hair was like a bower-birds nest, you never know what you're going to find in it but it's always sure to be good! She also wore a lot of jewelry, dangly earrings and choker necklaces, she sure wasn't afraid to experiment. I like that fact that nothing she wear MATCHES, it all CLASHES. I love it! It's so refreshing and zany that it just works so perfectly! She's too amazing for this world, to be honest. She's from an amazing species of humanity that can make any combination of accessories and clothing look good.

aka Melissa Joan Hart


I will never forget the first time Sabrina the Teenage Witch aired its first pilot on tv. I was hooked after watching it. Years on, I'm still in love with the show and still enjoy watching the reruns occasionally played. Sabrina's fashion sense was so typical of that transitional period between 1995 to the end of 1999 - I'm thinking lots of velvet, sheer blouses, cute fitted mini dresses, skivvies and plenty of layered clothing. The outfit I most loved was the one featured on every episode in the first series during the intro titles - the golden mini dress with those 70's style flared long sleeves and a scooped neckline - TO DIE FOR. Why don't I own it yet?!

aka Tia Landry and Tamera Campbell


Oh awesome 90's sitcoms, how I miss you. The flower hats take up a great portion of the fashion items featured in the show Sister Sister, which centered around the lives of separated-at-birth twins Tamera Campbell and Tia Landry. There were a lot of matchy-matchy type outfits going and and I adore it. SO MUCH DENIM too, and layered button up shirts over t-shirts. The plotlines of the show were definitely cheesy - especially the main concept of long lost twins reuniting after not knowing about each other - but I guess that's why we love them so much.

aka Tori Spelling


SHE HAS PERFECT STYLE. Seriously. I want to cry at some of the outfits Tori's character Donna Martin wears in Beverly Hills 90210 just because they are pure beauty. The headbands, the daisy-print dresses, everything equals greatness. Her hair was also perfect, set in that style which I so love and try to achieve with my own hair, but it never quite works the way I'd imagined it in my mind. Plus her Halloween costumes are great, as well as her prom dresses, such as the extravagant red ballgown she wore and that mermaid costume. There was never a dull moment in her wardrobe.

aka Janeane Garofalo


Oh my god, Vickie Miner has the sort of wardrobe I kind of dream and day-dream about constantly. She worked those platform shoes and floral tea dresses with an ease that I cannot comprehend, as well as her sunglasses and that fringed haircut. Unparalleled greatness 24/7. She was also fantastic in the attitude department, full of one liners such as this: "Évian is "naïve" spelled backward" - brilliant! Vickie Miner forever, people.

Winona Ryder's goth grunge casual chic appeal in the very early portion of the 90's is something to be admired and attempted, though with maybe not as much ease and effortlessness as Winona herself can achieve in such outfits. She wore a lot of black dresses which was a stark and amazing contrast to her dark hair, pale skin and blood red lipstick - a bit like a modern day Snow White if you will, with a tomboy edge. Johnny Depp and her made a perfect couple back in their day. I like her "I don't give a hoot about what I'm wearing" type of attitude to her style, it works so well.



I also have another playlist, dedicated to France and all French related things.

Francophile de Cœur from bambisvalentine on 8tracks Radio.

Until next time, ♡

post signature

1 comment:

Ruby Hoppen said...

yessss this is amazing. Mr Sheffield!

Post a Comment

thank-you for your comment ♥