Darling Buds
I had quite a lovely weekend simply reading, baking and painting. It was a lovely change from the usual hectic work-filled weekends I've had consistently over the month.

I found a nice and simple recipe for plain lemon cake. I altered it for muffins and came out with these little precious darlings, 12 of them all baked away nicely in the oven. It felt so good to bake properly again and I had much fun in preparing the batter, although I did manage to injure myself on the grater (being as clumsy as I am!) They taste amazing with a little bit of raspberry jam and they are not too sour and lemony; just containing enough lemon juice and zest to pack a punch.

"What we see and what we seem are but a dream, a dream within a dream."
- Miranda, Picnic at Hanging Rock


“It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight.”
― Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita


I have been reading Lolita and Picnic at Hanging Rock over the last week, I have been enjoying both of these novels, the writing style is really flowery and poetic, full of hazy and dramatic atmosphere which makes me feel that I am actually surrounded by the descriptions I am currently reading. I finished reading both now (I'm speed reading now that I have the time for it)! Both of the novels were really good reads which kept me entranced through till the very end (both of which were bitter-sweet and sorrowful). I have seen the Picnic at Hanging Rock film quite a few times and I studied it in high school. I have yet to watch either version of Lolita but now that I have read the novel I feel it is a good time to watch both the films. I usually have this thing where I prefer to read the book before watching the film, but I don't always stick to this rule!

That's all I've got to share for now loves, good-bye. x


Birdy - Skinny Love

post signature

1 comment:

Satin and Souffles said...

I adore lolita! You're right the writing is so flowery & poetic! I need to read haning rock! xx

www.satinandsouffles.com
www.satinandsouffles.com

Post a Comment

thank-you for your comment ♥